Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving with a Portugal Twist

Adam and I spent last week (Monday - Friday) at the ABWE Western European conference(well, really, the Iberian Peninsula plus 1 MK from Italy) in Alaferia, Portugal. It was a long 8 hour drive from Madrid to our hotel. I'm just not good with car rides longer than 4 hours. Upon arriving, we checked in to the hotel, which was very nice. Our mission got a fantastic rate and the apartments were recently built and only 2 years old, so the rooms were nice, clean, and modern.

We arrived late Monday, hit up the Portuguese grocery store, Continente, grabbed some Pizza Hut pizza (Stuffed Crust!!!), played some Five Crowns, and then hit the sack. Each morning, beginning Tuesday, we would gather as a group (there was about 50 of us) and worship and then receive a bible study from Pastor Green, a friend of a Portugal missionary, Evandro. Mr. Green brought wonderful messages each day we were there. After our meetings in the mornings, we had the afternoon and evenings free. Adam and I would either go to the beach to read, swim in the indoor pool, or just relax. On Wednesday, we went to an open air market (a ferria for Spaniards) and I got a scarf for 5 euros. We also purchased a fried doughnut for a euro dipped in cinnamon and sugar - mmmmmm. Fattening but mmmmmm. On Thursday, after our meeting, we went to a Portguese restaurant and had an American/Portugues thanksgiving meal. We had a carrot/potatoe soup (Portuguese dish), bread, turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes (unfortunately they were instant. sadness.), and carrots (more sadness - I would have preferred cranberry sauce. My sister and I are the only loves of jellied cranberry sauce in our family. But man we can eat a full can when it's served.). We were hoping for a chocolate dessert of some kind but we had fruit cocktail. Europeans love their fruit for dessert. They have sweets here but not near the intensity of American desserts. But it was a great meal and I got turkey!

Adam and I also got to do some runs of the beach. Well...run to the beach, jog on the short shoreline, and jog back to the room. Beach runs in Portugal are primarily rocky. Beaches are below steep cliffs and not so many shells line the beaches like the East Coast. But still very beautiful. Regardless of what type of beach you are on, an ocean sunrise or sunset is magnificant.

I was glad we are "away" for Thanksgiving. It was a good distraction for spending our first Thanksgiving away from our families. Still, it was very hard. I realized that all my life I have always been around my family for every holiday, and my family loves holidays. We celebrate every birthday (from uncle to cousin to niece/nephew) and Mom always has a present of some sort on the major holidays. So, for me to be away from family on a major holiday, presents an emptiness I'm not used to.

But despite my distance from my family, I was very thankful for all the blessings the Lord has given me this year. First, I was very thankful for our little family - Adam, me, and Carson. Until we have kids, maybe, one day, Carson is my little baby. And even though he pees on our new rug every day and we want to beat him, I still love him. I know kid love will be different but doggy love right now is good.  Second, I'm thankful for this opportunity to serve the Lord in Spain. I have to keep that as my focus. Third, Í'm thankful for all the blessings we have (house, food, clothing, etc.). We are so blessed. Last, but not least, so thankful for all those that pray and support us while we are here in Spain. You are the fuel behind us being here and enable us to minister every day. Thank you So very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment