Monday, December 5, 2011

Thank You Spanish Constitution Day!

Today and tomorrow we have off school due to Spain's Constitution Day. This day began in the late 1970s after Spain's dictator, Franco, died and more freedom entered into the Spanish culture. Franco was a very oppressive leader and held tightly to the Catholic church, even requiring individuals to join the church to own property, vote, etc. After his death, many Spaniards ran quickly away from religion due to its association with "oppression". Today, you can see the effects of this in Spain, as modesty, morals, and outlooks on life are deeply centered in "do what makes you happy"/ self-satisfaction. While people are seeking to satisfy their desires and what makes them happy, they are still searching to replace a void that can only be filled spiritually by the God that created them.

Adam and I are seeing this so much here in Spain. Individuals do not feel as if they "need" God as they are good people. It's easy to get caught up in this mindset, especially in developed countries. We see so much of what our hands produce that we lose sight of the God behind it all. But we can not forget the hand behind all the blessings. Without God, none of these things would be possible.

Lately, I have been involved with conversations with our neighbor who is Jehovah Witness. He has asked me point blank what I believe. My stomach drops every time he asks me, not because I don't want to give an answer but because all of this conversation is in Spanish. You take for granted the ability to share you faith in your native language. You have phrases and concepts that are known and easy to communicate. This is completely different in another language. So each time, I silently pray for the Lord's words (in Spanish) :)

I am learning that to be prepared you must study. So that's what I must do - not to debate but to clearly provide an answer and share the Gospel in whatever way the Lord provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment