Sunday, October 23, 2011

Canned Pumpkin - The Little Joys in Spain

This week we were blessed to have a half day on Friday, marking the end of the first quarter of school. I finished the quarter talking about credit cards and calculating finance charges on unpaid balances with my Practical Math class. After they painstakingly calculated the average daily balance for problems in class, one girl said, "Do you have to do this for debit cards too?" Nope, I told her. To which she replied, "I think I'm going to go with that option." 


I really enjoy teaching that class. So far we've talked about salaries, taxes, budgets, and now credit cards. It's rewarding to see the kids learn about these topics and starting deciding I'm going to do this...or I don't like this. For the class, they have to make a portfolio, which will include a budget, tax return, and resume on a career that they want to pursue after graduation. It has been great to watch as they seriously consider their calling and applying principals to be wise with their money. 


Last night, we attended ECA's Fall Festival. We've helped with our church's Fall Festival for the last several years, so we were excited to be a part of a Fall Festival with a Spanish twist :) We had the huge privilege (and jealousy of many others) to be the Dessert Contest judges. We judged between 8 different desserts from Pecan Pie to Caramel Corn, and finally on the winner, Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge. We wrapped up the night trying to explain the game of Corn Hole to Spaniards in Spanish (very difficult), line dancing the Electric Slide to a non-"Electric Slide" song, and eating delicious chili and cornbread with friends. We had a great time and best of all, I purchased two cans of Libby's Canned Pumpkin. Why was I so excited you may ask? Because canned pumpkin (like pepperoni, crescent rolls, and good quality cake mixes) is non-existent in Spain. And how best to celebrate fall than with Pumpkin Cheesecake muffins or Pumpkin Roll. Mmmmmm....so excited to use my canned pumpkin :)


Lastly, I praise the Lord for a wonderful start to a Sunday. We listened to JD Greear's recent sermon from the Summit Church on "I Don't Belong Here" 1 Peter 1:1-10. Just what I needed to hear after finishing this week. I hope you are challenged today in your faith. Peter says in 1 Peter that we are strangers, aliens, in this world. We don't belong. We don't fit in by reacting differently to struggles and trials in our lives compared to the world. As Christians, we have a hope that while we may struggle, and have suffering, we look to the resurrection of Christ and the hope of everlasting life and know that this short time here on earth will be worth it when we see Christ in eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment